Angkor Photo Festival 2020, Cambodia
November 28 - December 5
Traditionally Siem Reap, Cambodia, is brought to life with powerful images from across the world when the annual Angkor Photo Festival lands in November. However, for 2020 due to Covid concerns and new Cambodian government regulations the Festival has turned to an online format.
Now in its 16th year, the festival started life with the aim of nurturing young Asian talent by providing them with a platform to develop their skills and showcase their work. Since then, hundreds of amateur photographers have attended to learn from the variety of professional photographers who attend to share their knowledge.
Visual Storytelling Workshops Workshops
The inaugural Visual Storytelling Workshops (VSW) will be held from 10 to 16 January 2021. The workshop shares the same objectives as the Angkor Photo Workshops but due to Covid will involve 15 Cambodian participants and six Cambodian tutors, rather than photographers from across Asia. The workshop was due to be held in November but was postponed due to Covid concerns.
Angkor Photo Festival Exhibitions
The Angkor Photo Festival will also have three projection showcases which will be streamed online, and feature 65 visual artists. These have been curated by Dennese Victoria, Swastik Pal, Sadia Marium, Tania Bohóquez and Musuk Nolte.
The showcases will be held from 28 to 29 November, and 5 December:
- ‘Even though the whole world is burning’ curated by Dennese Victoria (Philippines) & Swastik Pal (India), featuring 24 photographers from 14 countries (28 November);
- ‘Symptom, Latin America Contemporary Photography’, curated by Tania Bohórquez (Mexico) & Musuk Nolte (Peru) featuring 12 photographers from seven countries in Latin America (29 November); and
- ‘Words; shouted, blabbered, shattered in between the walls’ curated by Sadia Marium (Bangladesh), featuring 19 photographers from 10 countries (5 December).
Further details of these showcases can be found here.
Kassel Dummy Award
This year the Angkor Photo Festival will also feature the Kassel Dummy Award with the 50 shortlisted photobooks for the coveted prize on display at the Mirage Contemporary Art Space.
If you are interested in photography and going to Siem Reap, why not sign up for a Siem Reap photography tour?
Siem Reap Accommodation
If you are looking for accommodation in Siem Reap, try our designated Hotel Booking Portal. However, please note that international tourists are currently not allowed to enter Cambodia.
More information on the Angkor Photo Festival 2018
Keep up-to-date with the daily events by visiting https://angkor-photo.com/. The Workshop and Festival Centre will be based at Baby Elephant Boutique Hotel in Siem Reap.
Cover photo: by Nelson Morales.
Mark Bibby Jackson
Festivals by Location
Festivals by Category
Latest Travel News
- November 23 - December 28
- November 26 - November 27
- November 27, 2020 - January 3, 2021
- November 28 - December 5
- December 1 - December 26