- This event has passed.
Quebec Winter Carnival 2019
February 8 - February 17
Ever since 1955, the people of Quebec City have celebrated winter with the Quebec Winter Carnival. In 2006, over a million people attended the festival, making it the biggest winter festival in the world until the Harbin Ice Festival usurped its crown.
In fact, the first Carnaval de Québec was held in 1894, but it was only an intermittent event until 1955, when Bonhomme (see below), the festival’s mascot reared his massive head.
Drink caribou, dine at the city’s bars and restaurants at the outdoor patios – presumably heated – or dance the night away at the Ice Hotel.
Quebec Winter Carnival 2019 Dates
The next carnival is from 8 to 17 February, 2019.
Quebec Winter Carnival Activities
At the centre of the festivities is the Ice Palace, where Bonhomme resides. In addition to the opening and closing ceremonies by the palace, there will be a series of activities, including:
- Two night parades along the streets of Quebec, needless to say featuring Bonhomme;
- A series of ice canoe races across the St Lawrence River;
- A masquerade ball in Château Frontenac’s grand ballroom;
- Outdoor sporting events, including: ice canoeing, snowboarding, ice-hockey and dog-sledding;
- A snow sculpture competition on the Plains of Abraham, in the carnival’s heart;
- A sleigh race also on the Plains of Abraham.
Quebec Winter Carnival Packages
Various companies run tours to the carnival, including Bon Voyage.
Hotels for Quebec Winter Carnival 2019
However, if you are just looking for accommodation for the festival, then please use our Hotel Booking Portal. It will cost you nothing extra, but the small commission we make goes towards the running of this website.
Bonhomme, Mascot of the Quebec Winter Carnival
Okay, so who is this Bonhomme fellow anyway? A seven-foot high snowman donning a red cap and weighing some 400 pounds, Bonhomme has been at the heart of the festival since 1955, reflecting the Quebecois sense of joie de vivre. A childhood friend of Santa Claus, he wishes for nothing more than a reverse of climate change … and ice cream, according to the official website.
Quebec Winter Carnival Photo Gallery
Things To Do in Quebec
- Quebec City
- Quebec City,Canada+ Google Map
Festivals by Location
Festivals by Category
Latest Travel News
- November 8 - November 17
- November 15 - November 24
- November 21 - December 22
- November 21 - December 26
- November 22 - December 22