To coincide with Iceland reopening its borders this week travel specialist Discover the World has launched a new Summer 2020 travel programme offering savings of up to 30% for those keen to book a post lockdown holiday.
Discover the World’s new collection aims to entice travellers back on the road this summer with attractive discounts as well as offering a choice of six self-drive holidays featuring hotels and self-catering accommodation and enhanced booking flexibility. Options include staying in a summer house on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula with great hiking routes on your doorstep or embarking on a two week journey around the wild and remote West Fjords. Prices start from £488 per person for a three night trip to explore the Reykjanes Peninsular.
Covid-19 test on arrival
Iceland is welcoming back international visitors on the proviso that they take a Covid-19 test upon arrival instead of opting for the alternative quarantine. The testing programme will be free to those arriving between 15 and 30 Jun. From July 1, passengers will pay ISK 15.000 (approximately £90 ) for a single test. Children born in 2005 or later are exempt.
Discover the World has been working closely with authorities to ensure all travellers receive a comprehensive briefing on the procedures at Keflavik Airport. Their test results will be delivered by text message within 24 hours of arrival. Full Q&A document can be found here.
Dates for the trips are flexible and will follow Icelandair’s new schedule from Heathrow leaving on Wednesdays and Sundays making 3, 4, 7, 9, 10, and 14 night trips possible. Bookings will be taken for travel for July onwards with the expectation that the FCO will relax their advisory by then.
Iceland has a population of just 341,243 and has just a couple of people recovering from the virus in isolation at this current time. The country was quick to test a high percent of its population which is largely attributed to its success in eradicating infection and it is keen to make steps to restart tourism under these protective measures.
One of Iceland’s biggest attractions is its stunning volcanic and geothermal landscape filled with natural wonders which exist freely in nature. Most of the country’s key paid-for experiences such as the Blue Lagoon and Into the Glacier will be open as well as whale watching trips with North Sailing and Super Jeep Safaris with South Coast Adventures which Discover the World will be recommending clients pre-book.
All visitors will be strongly encouraged to follow precautionary guidelines, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing and to respect local guidelines in place.
Discover the World’s core summer programme is found here. All trips can be tailored to suit individual requirements. In addition there is a new ****enhanced flexibility promise in place for all bookings.
- Reykjanes Explorer and Blue Lagoon Break from £488pp saving £217pp – a three night self-drive break based at the Northern Light Inn perfect for exploring Iceland’s wild Reykjanes Peninsula https://www.discover-the-world.com/holidays/reykjanes-explorer-and-blue-lagoon-break/
- NEW Iceland Backroads from £2108pp includes saving of £250 – a 14 night self-drive exploring the west from Snaefellsnes to the less-visited West Fjords returning south via Husafell on the south coast. https://www.discover-the-world.com/holidays/iceland-backroads/
- West Iceland Escape at Glacier Lodge from £523pp – a 3 night self-drive staying at a three bedroom self-catering summer house on the rugged Snaefellsnes Peninsula, the perfect base for exploring the west. https://www.discover-the-world.com/holidays/west-iceland-escape-at-glacier-lodge/. There is also a 7 night West Iceland Hiking Escape available from £1,108pp https://www.discover-the-world.com/holidays/west-iceland-hiking-escape/
- Wonders of the South West from £1,215pp including a saving of £409pp – a 7 night self-drive based at Hotel Ranga, well placed for visiting keys sites in the south coast moving onto Hotel Husafell in the north west amidst the mountains of Borgarfjordur, with access to nearby Langjokull glacier https://www.discover-the-world.com/holidays/wonders-of-the-south-west/
- Summer Nights at Ranga from £669pp which includes a saving of £215pp –a self-drive based for 3 nights at Hotel Ranga or stay for 7 nights the price would be £1,479pp which is a saving of £539 pp. https://www.discover-the-world.com/holidays/summer-nights-at-ranga/
- Around Iceland from £2,177pp includes saving of £623 – a 14 night long self-drive taking Route 1 as it loops around the Land of Fire and Ice exploring the ins and outs of its crinkle-cut coast over 1300km https://www.discover-the-world.com/holidays/around-iceland/
All prices are the lowest available prices for those travelling in July and August and include car rental and accommodation based on two sharing unless otherwise indicated. Board basis at the hotels varies for individual trip with some hotels offering half board. Flights are extra and for the summer months are currently priced from £240 per person return with Icelandair from Heathrow
For more information and to book visit https://www.discover-the-world.com or call 01737 886 131.
Mark Bibby Jackson
Latest Travel News
- January 17 - February 26
- January 17 - February 12
- January 19 - January 29
- January 22 - February 6
- January 29
- January 31
- February 2 - February 26
- February 3 - February 5
- February 3 - February 12
- February 3 - February 4
- February 3 - February 11