Intrepid Launches Trips Closer to Home
Intrepid Retreats, a brand-new tour range, will bring travellers together closer to home, while supporting local communities along the way.
Intrepid Travel, the world’s leading sustainable tour operator, has introduced a new collection of tours called Intrepid Retreats. This innovative new range is a first for Intrepid, in which small groups immerse themselves in one location, staying in handpicked accommodation ranging from small boutique properties to glamping, with nearby experiences ranging from hikes to wineries to fishing, cooking, cycling, stargazing and more.
The new product range has been curated in direct response to local restrictions beginning to lift following the COVID-19 outbreak, with domestic and regional travel starting to re-open in some areas of the world. All Intrepid Retreats have been developed to empower and support local communities during the economic recovery, in line with Intrepid’s values of using travel as a force for good.
The new Retreats will be available from 29 July onwards, when lockdown restrictions ease, pending FCO guidance. With 12 Retreats based across the UK and Europe, a further two in the Middle East and one in North Africa, trips are leader-led and range from three to five days, with group departures and Tailor-Made trips both available. UK destinations include Scotland, Cornwall, and Suffolk, plus active walking and cycling trips in The Lake District and The Peak District; while Retreats abroad include remote locations in Greece, Croatia, Iceland, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Morocco and Jordan.
Recent research conducted by Intrepid Travel of over 1000 UK travellers found that 87% of people plan to travel in the UK in 2020, with 47% opting to go abroad. When asked what motivated them to travel, 78% sought hiking and nature walks, 62% sought history and culture experiences, 46% preferred to relax and unwind, while 38% wanted multi-active trips on their next travel experience.
Intrepid Retreats will be operated under new Safe Travel protocols developed and endorsed by the World Travel & Tourism Council, with a new Flexible Bookings policy applicable so travellers can book confidently and change, move or cancel their travels with no fuss.
A sample of some of the new Intrepid Retreats range is as follows:
3 days – Suffolk Retreat: Halesworth (from £425 pp)
- Glamp in a comfortable Yurt in the heart of the countryside
- Enjoy a woodstove pizza baking experience using local produce
- Take part in a wine tasting tour at an award-winning English vineyard
- Explore beautiful countryside and stargazing on a guided night-time walk
4 days – Scotland Retreat: Glencoe (from £840 pp)
- Enjoy a beautiful hike to the Pap of Glencoe, the most stunning mountain in the area
- Cycle around the famous Loch Leven
- Discover one of the oldest whisky distilleries in Scotland on a whisky tasting tour
- Explore the village of Inverlochy and admire the old castle nestled on the side of the hill
- Feast on a traditional Scottish dinner
5 days – Croatia Retreat: Lastovo Island (from £750 pp)
- Stay in a guesthouse on the most remote island of Croatia, a protected national park
- Take a fishing trip with a local fisherman, followed by a Seafood BBQ lunch
- Get outside and keep active on a bike ride
- Take a tour of the island on a full day boat trip with swimming and BBQ lunch on board
- Wine tasting and dinner
4 days – Italy Retreat: The Veneto (from £730 pp)
- Stay in a local boutique hotel, in this beautiful part of north eastern Italy
- Visit to Valdobbiadene UNESCO world heritage Prosecco wine region
- Lunch with wine tastings at a local vineyard
- Cicchetti Food Tour with a local in Venice
- Bike ride along the River Sile
For more information about the full Intrepid Retreats range visit https://www.intrepidtravel.com/uk/new-local-tours or phone 0808 274 5111.
Mark Bibby Jackson
Latest Travel News
- March 12 - September 6
- March 28 - November 25
- May 22 - July 21
- July 11 - July 15
- July 23 - July 26